Wednesday, May 21, 2008

It's the little things


The Press : 046
Originally uploaded by memekode
First, I hate the new look of my blog. I liked the old one, and for some reason it went all funky and I had to change it. I feel less happy than I used to every time I look at it. I've seen other people use this same template, and it looks good there, but I don't like it here. Maybe I'll change it again. It bothers me because I am one of those people who chooses a book by its cover. OK, I'm done whining.

I was reminded the other day by this post that sometimes we are so busy making so many little changes in our lives that we sort of lose track of some of them. Today I was reminded of one such change I had made about six weeks ago.

I had a dress in my closet, tags still on, and luckily I still had the receipt. I really didn't need that dress for anything special, and was less in love with it than I was when I bought it eight months ago. Actually I was never really in love with it; it was kind of hideous, but it reminded me of Madonna in Desperately Seeking Susan, so I bought it, thinking maybe it would make me that cool. Thankfully I came to my senses before I wore that thing out into public. If I ever decide to run for political office, photos of me wearing something like that would kill my campaign before it ever got off the ground. There are so many good reasons to buy less, and the fact that I frequently make purchasing decisions like this is a big one.

Anyway, I digress. I returned the garment for store credit. I'd bought it at Ross, and they sell home stuff too. I found a few glass food storage jars for $3 each, but the best thing I found was a coffee press...it was under $10, and small enough to make coffee one cup at a time. This is perfect, since I'm the only one in the house who drinks coffee. I'd always thought what a waste it was to haul out that big machine to make one beverage. The new press is basically just like making a cup of tea. Boil the water, pour over grounds, press, and pour!

If I'm ambitious, I blanch some veggies or something while I'm heating the water anyway, but most mornings, that's not the case. But I like that the only energy that goes into it is heating the water, and I like the simplicity of it. My coffee has never tasted all that great, and maybe it's only a placebo effect, but I think this has a better taste to it than it did with the machine. And my new little press certainly looks cooler than that dress.

No comments: