Monday, September 22, 2008

FLOW

I saw an excellent documentary yesterday, titled "FLOW" (FLOW stands for "For Love Of Water). I thought to myself, man, I must be getting old if I'm voluntarily going to watch a whole movie just about water. But I'm really glad I did!

It was a compelling look at water systems around the world, and a call for action. I thought I would walk away feeling badly for all the people who live in third world countries without access to safe, clean drinking water. And I did. But I also received the rude awakening that our own water systems here in the US are not as safe or as clean (or as stable) as we'd maybe like to believe they are. As if to underscore this point, the AP ran this article today about rocket fuel in public water supplies.

The threat that is posed to people around the world if we don't reign in the power of some of the large global corporations is made clear. Coca Cola's actions in Plachimada, India is an issue that I've addressed previously. What I didn't know is that the Nestle Corporation has threatened and abused local water supplies right here in the United States (namely Michigan).

This is a wonderful film that I would encourage everybody to see if they have the chance. As alarming as the world water situation is, I didn't leave feeling despair. I left feeling that we haven't yet passed the point of no return. There is still time for us to fix what we've broken - and doing that will require, to paraphrase one of the interviewees from the film, for all of us to decide what we value, and to begin acting accordingly.

7 comments:

Green Bean said...

Oh thank you for the review! I read about this documentary but didn't know if it was out yet. Sounds like a great way to skip reading some of those really important, really long water books and get the same gist.

Melissa said...

It just opened this past weekend I believe - and you are totally right! Maude Barlow, one of the authors of those really important really long books is interviewed fairly extensively in the film. Actually, I should have mentioned, the breadth of people that were interviewed was quite impressive. Corporate execs, government officials, community leaders, private citizens, etc. Really well done.

Farmer's Daughter said...

Unfortunately, FLOW isn't playing in my area. I wanted to take my Environmental Science class to see it, but alas, it was not to be.

I'll have to wait for the video version.

Deb said...

Hi ~ How sad it is to think that so many people really don't know what they value. They go through the motions, day in ,day out - not knowing why and not knowing what 'they' truly believe. But it is not too late, as you state, and change begins at home :) with baby steps... Thank you for caring and educating me. xo

Anonymous said...

Morgan Hill (the town just south of SJ) had a serious perchlorate contamination problem several years ago (no doubt they still do, but the publicity and outrage peaked in about 2002).

I think I'll still take my rocket-fuel-laced tap water over the bottled stuff, though.

(amity)

Anonymous said...

Thanks for blogging about this, I'll look for the film. I live in Australia, a land of constant drought, so we have to look after and appreciate every drop.

Art said...

I love the idea about "national pat on the back day". I am going to do it, not only one day, but everyday and hope I remember to celebrate on 24 July. An excellent idea! Art@your-inner-voice.com

Here is my article: http://www.your-inner-voice.com/PatOnTheBackDay.html