Monday, June 2, 2008

Calling all scooter drivers

Does anybody out there drive a scooter? I'm considering buying one. I have the bike, but this city isn't quite set up for easy biking everywhere, and the public transportation has limitations, especially if you go out at night. But I really hate driving the car - even though I think we get close to 30 mpg, it seems wasteful, especially when I don't really need a car for the storage space or anything, it's just that I don't have the energy (or the interest) to bike 30 miles on a regular basis.

Plus biking still freaks me out a little. I'm not convinced that the cars are actually looking out for me, and I'm not convinced I won't tip over at any moment in front of a moving car. I'll admit that I often get off the bike and walk across intersections because I'm not ever too sure when I first get going that I'll be able to keep the thing in a straight line and not fall off.

So does anybody have any suggestions? I'm definitely going to get something used, but aside from that, I don't really know what I want. Have you owned a scooter? Did you like it? Hate it? What kind did you have? Would you recommend it? Would you buy one again?

4 comments:

Deb said...

All I know is you had better wear a helmet, knee pads and elbow pads - and a full insulated body suit, please. I think scooters are a great idea - I just wish all the other drivers would start walking. Love you, The Falcon.

ruchi said...

I know nothing about scooters, but that sounds awesome!

Melissa said...

yes I will wear a fully insulated body suit, of course.

arduous, I've been imagining zipping around on my scooter in my head for the past couple weeks now, and I also think it will be super awesome. Probably trendsetting, really :)

jam - glad you stopped by! I too hate the vulnerability feeling - that's why a lot of times I break the rules and ride my bike on the sidewalk. People are craaaaazy when they drive!

ruchi said...

I have been idly dreaming of a mint colored vespa for years now!