Monday, June 2, 2008

Calling all scooter drivers

Does anybody out there drive a scooter? I'm considering buying one. I have the bike, but this city isn't quite set up for easy biking everywhere, and the public transportation has limitations, especially if you go out at night. But I really hate driving the car - even though I think we get close to 30 mpg, it seems wasteful, especially when I don't really need a car for the storage space or anything, it's just that I don't have the energy (or the interest) to bike 30 miles on a regular basis.

Plus biking still freaks me out a little. I'm not convinced that the cars are actually looking out for me, and I'm not convinced I won't tip over at any moment in front of a moving car. I'll admit that I often get off the bike and walk across intersections because I'm not ever too sure when I first get going that I'll be able to keep the thing in a straight line and not fall off.

So does anybody have any suggestions? I'm definitely going to get something used, but aside from that, I don't really know what I want. Have you owned a scooter? Did you like it? Hate it? What kind did you have? Would you recommend it? Would you buy one again?

5 comments:

Debbie said...

All I know is you had better wear a helmet, knee pads and elbow pads - and a full insulated body suit, please. I think scooters are a great idea - I just wish all the other drivers would start walking. Love you, The Falcon.

arduous said...

I know nothing about scooters, but that sounds awesome!

JAM said...

I love the idea of scooters, for just the reasons you said - but I worry about bad roads and darkness and being so much more vulnerable out there. I know a few people with them and they don't use them as much as they wanted to originally. I'd see if you could find some people who have them already to see how much they use them. By the way - enjoying your blog - your mom left a comment on mine so I found you!

Melissa said...

yes I will wear a fully insulated body suit, of course.

arduous, I've been imagining zipping around on my scooter in my head for the past couple weeks now, and I also think it will be super awesome. Probably trendsetting, really :)

jam - glad you stopped by! I too hate the vulnerability feeling - that's why a lot of times I break the rules and ride my bike on the sidewalk. People are craaaaazy when they drive!

arduous said...

I have been idly dreaming of a mint colored vespa for years now!