Wednesday, June 11, 2008

I highly recommend...

these organic cotton produce bags from Organic Needle - I'd been trying to reuse my plastic bags as much as possible in order to reduce overall waste, but when stuff would go mushy and moldy sometimes (even if just a little bit of lettuce slime) it became really hard to get them clean, they didn't dry properly, etc. I'll use up the ones I still have kicking around before saying goodbye for good, but these cotton bags are just lovely! I used them for fresh produce as well as dried beans from the bulk bins, and I couldn't be happier, plus I got to support a small business owner. The large ones were also great to put my empty milk bottles in when I biked to the store. It kept them from banging together in my backpack. Check them out!

6 comments:

Green Bean said...

Blogger ate my first comment so here goes again:

Could you use them for smaller bulk items like oats or flour? I'm looking to replace the ziplocks I use for those items.

Melissa said...

oats, absolutely...and it's funny you ask that because flour was something I had to buy yesterday - the nontechnical answer is that cous cous is probably about the smallest thing I'd try to fit in there. Maybe I'll email her and ask her to look into fabrics for bulk bags for purchases like flour and sugar. The other concern I realized when I got home with a bag of walnuts is that I have a friend with a really severe nut allergy. I think I'll somehow mark which bags I've put the nuts in and make sure not to serve her anything else I've carried in that bag.

hmd said...

I agree. I bought some of Organic Needle's bags last month and just love them!

Kale for Sale said...

I put my milk bottles and yogurt jars in the cotton bags to return them to the store too. I was always so afraid I would break the darn things. My disappointment with the cotton bags is that produce doesn't stay as fresh in them in the fridge. I'm going to invest in some tupperware like containers to fix that and then I'll be able to entirely rule out the plastic bags (with the lettuce slime the won't come out).

Melissa said...

Oh, that is a good heads up - my stuff hasn't spoiled yet, but I'll go transfer it to another container now, before it has the chance! Thanks for the tip!

Green Bean said...

Melissa, thanks. At least I could use them for oats. I still would like to find something for flour, sugar, rice and such.

I agree with Katrina. I have some of the eco-bags (produce size) that I use for farmers' market produce but I have to reuse plastic ones for stuff like lettuce and greens that will wilt in the organic bags.